During the spring months of 1953, the first floor of the 12-room Victorian mansion, built on the property in 1898 by the John Taggert family, was converted into the Clubhouse and was furnished for lounging and reception rooms. A 117×50 ft. stone addition was constructed for dining and club activities. A large tile barn was converted into locker rooms, showers, and bar. At this time over 200 members had been enrolled.In April, 1953 the members initiated the plans to build a swimming pool, to be built for the coming summer months. The Henry Bickel Company was contracted for the construction.Although not all the club facilities were available the first round of golf was played on May 30th, Memorial Day, 1953.
The formal opening of the club was celebrated with a dinner dance on November 14, 1953.The first foursome consisted of Lew Davis, Otto Funk, Bill Gardner, and R. P. Minton Jr.
Wildwood Country Club, in addition to the clubhouse and a golf course, now has practice golf areas, a large swimming pool and four clay tennis courts; yet the rolling landscape, and fine old trees are still here to remind us that we can blend the past with the present for the enjoyment of all.